Monday, December 26, 2011

6 Years.....Engagement to Remember

I meant to post this on Friday, but got to busy to be able to. 6 years ago on December 23rd, Heith insisted we make a day trip down to Rocky Point, Mexico to take a sunset walk on the beach. Me being the frugal one, was like isn't that a long road trip for just one day? Also I had originally taken the day off to spend with my sister who was visiting in town. Heith persisted and my sister was fine with it, so I agreed. We met at his house early that morning to head out. When I got there I was surprised to see that Heith's Mom was up early and making us a really nice breakfast. Not thinking to much of it, I cleaned my plate, thanked her for the delicious breakfast, and then we were out the door to Rocky Point.
I remember having a cold during this but I was trying to make the best of the trip. We arrived in Rocky Point probably around noon or 1pm. Our first stop was down at the beach to enjoy the ocean. We sat under this cabana for a couple hours and enjoyed the beautiful ocean, the nice weather, and just talked. I actually think we might have even fallen asleep for a little bit. We headed to a restaurant that over looked the ocean for a late lunch. We also went into town to go to one of our favorite stores out there called Mercedes. Heith said he wanted to take me to a special spot and watch the sunset and then we would head back to Arizona. I contently agreed because Mexico has beautiful sunsets. Even at this point I still did not know that before long Heith would be asking me to spend the rest of his life with him. We drove to a new beach that I had never been to but Heith said it used to be one of his favorite spots to go to when he and his family would go to Mexico. There is a part of the beach that has a bunch of rocks that go out to the ocean where you can sit on and watch the sunset.
As we were walking out to there this beach had a bunch of little shells. I started collecting them to eventually add to a frame or candle. When we were climbing on the rocks to get to the farthest point we continued to grab a few more shells here and there and Heith had stopped to look down at this "shell". He invited me to come look at it and when I was almost there he turned around on his knee and had the ring. He read me this 2 page letter that explained why he loved me and wanted to spend the rest of his life. It was the most precious letter, I still to this day have it saved and put in a protector so it doesn't get ruined. After I accepted I sat there in his arms and watched the sun go down as we discussed ideas for our new future together. It was so memorable and even though things are always crazy around the holidays I always remember that special day and moment. My heart is filled with love and I am so blessed to have such a wonderful husband and marriage. The picture above was a frame I made that showed us relaxing before and right after the proposal. It hangs in our bedroom below are wedding photos. I love looking at it every day (even though yes I had braces at the time) as a reminder of that special moment.

No comments: